Cauliflower rice is one of the easiest ways to replace regular rice, so this recipe shows you how to doctor up cauliflower rice so that it tastes like Mexican rice. As an added bonus, cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family and provides essential vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants that have been proven to help prevent cancer. Enjoy this any time of year, or pair it with our other festive Cinco De Mayo main dish Fish Tacos with Broccoli Slaw and Lime Cream Sauce and Festive Hazlenut Horchata!
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse a few times until it is rice-like consistency.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, minced garlic and chili and sauté for 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add the cauliflower rice and sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, stock, oregano, cumin, and chili flakes and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft. Add the garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and lime juice before serving.