In honor of Cinco de Mayo, here is a gluten-free take on fish tacos: Spice-coated tuna or halibut sautéed until crisp on the outside but slightly pink inside, and a slaw made with sweet shredded broccoli, all topped with a creamy sauce spiked with fresh lime. It’s a celebration of fresh flavors bursting on your palate!
- Prepared broccoli coleslaw, 4 cups, about half of a 16 oz bag
- Red onion, 1/4 cup minced
- Fresh cilantro, 1/4 cup minced
- Fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon plus 2 1/2 teaspoons
- Serrano chile, 1, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Gluten-free mayonnaise (we like Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise with Avocado Oil), 6 tablespoons
- Plain Greek-style yogurt (we like Kite Hill Greek Yogurt), 6 tablespoons
- Lime zest, 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated
- Fresh caught tuna or halibut, 1 lb, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Ancho chile powder, 3/4 teaspoon
- Ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon
- Extra Virgin Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Large avocado, 1, peeled and sliced
- Gluten-free corn tortillas (we like Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas), 8–10 (5 1/2–6 inches diameter), heated
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, and the minced serrano chile. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Let the slaw stand while preparing the sauce and fish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, lime zest, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice. Mix a pinch of salt into the sauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix the tuna or halibut cubes, chile powder, cumin, and coriander. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the fish and sauté until brown on the outside but still pink inside, about 2 minutes. Transfer the fish to a warmed bowl.
- Set out on the table the fish, slaw, sauce, avocado, and tortillas and allow diners to assemble their own tacos.
*recipe modified from organicauthority.com
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']