Put a little elbow grease into this recipe! Massaging your kale with an acid like lemon juice makes the raw leaves tender and delicious, plus easier to digest.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: —
- 1 large bunch kale (use lacinto or curly–which ever your prefer)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cups sliced raw almonds
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pecorino cheese, shaved (optional–only if you are not dairy sensitive)
- Remove central stem from the kale leaves by holding tightly to the base stem and stripping the leaf by pulling upward. Chop kale into thin ribbons.
- Measure olive oil and have it close by.
- Juice the lemon over the kale and massage into the leaves for 2-3 minutes. You’ll notice it start to get darker green and very fragrant. Toss in the olive oil and continue massaging until kale is soft, usually another minute or two.
- Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they begin to brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add the almonds and tomatoes to the kale and toss. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top salad with cheese, if desired.
- The kale base can be made the day before and keep in the refrigerator. Wait to add the toppings (almonds, tomatoes, etc) until just before serving.
Note: Get creative with this base! Exchange the tomatoes for roasted beets or sliced oranges. Raspberries or mango would also be great in season!
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']