Yes you can make your own fermented vegetables at home! It only takes a few basic instruments and ingredients. Basically, most lacto-fermented foods are nothing more than whole, chopped, sliced or grated vegetables placed in a brine of salt and water for a period of time at room temperature to let the beneficial bacteria develop. Here is a suggestion for vegetable combination–but feel free to use any vegetables you like!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0
- 4 apples, cored and diced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 8 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 tbsp sea salt
- Combine the apples, cauliflower, carrots, onions, and ginger together.
- Place the mixture little by little in your fermentation jar, pounding them vigorously and sprinkling some of the sea salt as you go.
- Make sure the mixture fills the jar up to no more than 1 inch below the top (because of the expansion), adding more if needed, and that the extracted water covers the vegetables entirely. If not, create a brine of 2 tablespoons sea salt to 4 cups water and add it to the mixture.
- Press the mixture and keep it under the brine by placing a plate or a lid on top weighted down by a (very clean) rock or a jug of water. Cover with a clean towel if needed to keep out fruit flies.
- Place the fermentation jar in a warm spot in your kitchen and allow the mixture to ferment for 3 to 5 days.
- Check on it from time to time to be sure that the brine covers the mixture and to remove any mold that may form on the surface.
- A good way to know when it’s ready is to taste it during the fermentation process. It’s ready when you’re satisfied with the taste!
- At this point you can refrigerate your vegetables to stop the fermentation. If you want to let it keep fermenting, leave it on the counter and use the vegetables right from the jar. Just make sure the brine always covers the vegetables left!
- You can use some of the leftover brine from this batch as a “starter” for you next batch. It’s not totally necessary, but will help move things along faster.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']