You may be surprised to find out that zucchini is technically a fruit, and yet for a “fruit soup” it combines amazingly well with chicken stock, nutmeg and coconut milk. The humble zucchini also happens to be very high in fiber and water, making it a wonderful plant to keep your digestive system running smoothly. If you forgo the sweet potato scoops, the zucchini will also help to lower blood sugar levels when you stick to a low carb diet. More than that, zucchini is known to boost energy levels as it is a rich source of necessary B-vitamins which reduces fatigue and elevate our mood.
- 3 zucchini, grated (drained)
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. mint, finely chopped
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
For Sweet Potato Scoops
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lime, wedged
- Allow the grated zucchini to drain any excess water for approximately 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the ghee and sauté the onions. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add the stock and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini, nutmeg, and mint and allow to simmer for about 8 minutes. Then add the coconut milk with lemon juice. Continue to cook for 5 minutes longer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree if desired.
For sweet potato scoops:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/8” thick pieces.
- In a bowl, toss the potatoes in olive oil until evenly coated.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with lime prior to serving. Enjoy!