Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 6-8 tacos
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. Mexican-spiced diced tomatoes (I used the tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, diced
- 2-4 tsp. chili powder (2 was plenty for us!)
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. minced chipotle pepper
- 1/4 c. Bragg’s liquid aminos (coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce works too)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. water
- salt + pepper to taste
- olive oil mister or cooking spray
- dash of liquid smoke (I omitted this)
- 6-8 hard taco shells
- vegan cheese, guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives, and lime wedges for serving
- Crumble your tempeh into a large mixing bowl. Then, using a large spoon, mix in the garlic, tomatoes, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chipotle pepper, and Bragg’s. Once your tempeh is completely mixed into the spices, mix in the onion and pepper. Then drizzle the water 1 tablespoon at a time into your mix while stirring your ingredients continuously. Taste a little bit of your tempeh and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray your favorite cast-iron skillet or frying pan with a heavy coating of olive oil cooking spray, and then heat over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, toss in the tempeh mixture and liquid smoke. Flip your tempeh-vegetable mixture a few times so that it browns evenly. You’ll know it’s ready when your vegetables are tender and your tempeh has crispy edges. It should take about 10 minutes.
- While your tempeh is cooking, heat your taco shells slightly in the oven following the directions on the package.
- Once your taco shells are warm, fill them with the tempeh and vegetable mixture. Top with vegan cheese and set aside so it can melt slightly.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives, lime wedges and anything else you like on your tacos!
*recipe adapted from ohmyveggies.com
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']