These crisp, sweet-savory fritters are a great way to get even the pickiest anti-veggie eaters to eat colorful winter vegetables.
The fritters can be made up to 3 hours in advance, and left at room temperature. Warm on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven until crisp and hot, about 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup peeled, grated carrot, (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup peeled, grated parsnip (about 4 small)
- 1 cup peeled, grated sweet potato, (about 6 oz)
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 T. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup avocado or walnut oil
- Plain coconut yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and heat your oven to 200°.
- Shred the (peeled) carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor. You could also choose to spiralize the vegetables! For ease in mixing, you’ll want to run your knife through the finished spiralized veggies a few times to produce shorter pieces.
- Add vegetables to a mixing bowl with the onion, eggs, arrow root flour, nutritional yeast (if using), and parsley and stir well to combine. If mixture is too loose, add a bit more arrowroot flour.
- Warm a large cast-iron or heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. In batches, add dollops (about 1 heaping tablespoon each for bite-sized appetizers, 3 tablespoons for side dish portions) of the veggie mixture, pressing it into a round cake that is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook, turning a few times, until golden brown and crispy and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Adjust the heat to medium-low to make sure the fritters don’t burn before they are cooked through.
- Transfer to the baking sheet lined with paper towels, and place in a low oven (200°) to keep warm while you finish the rest of the fritters which can be placed on a cooling rack.
When ready to serve, transfer the fritters to a platter. Dollop with the yogurt, if you like, then garnish with chopped parsley.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']