A gluten and dairy free meatless alternative to traditional Swedish meatballs with millet and vegetables for your next holiday gathering. Walnuts create a rich and creamy sauce for serving.
- 2 T flaxseed meal
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 T plus 2 t nutritional yeast, divided
- 1/4 t ground allspice
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 c millet
- 1 c walnuts
- 1 T tahini
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water; set aside. Roughly chop celery and carrots. Blend in a food processor with garlic, 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast, allspice, nutmeg salt and black pepper. Process until mixture forms a thick paste.
- Heat millet in large pot over medium heat. Keep a lid on the pot and heat until millet starts to brown and toast, 4 to 5 minutes. Immediately add 1 cup water and the purթed vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer until millet is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and stir in flaxseed meal; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is very thick. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, portion millet mixture into about 24 balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process walnuts, tahini, remaining 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and 3/4 cup water until smooth. When ready to serve, heat walnut sauce in a large skillet over medium heat until hot; add a few tablespoons of water if it is too thick. Gently add milletballs and toss until coated.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']