Adding cherries to your beloved cranberry sauce will sweeten it up without the use of the loads of white sugar found in traditional Thanksgiving cranberry sauces. Enjoy a dollop of this on your turkey, or just as a great addition to you Thanksgiving plate!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 6 ounces frozen cranberries
- 6 ounces frozen sweet cherries
- 3/4 cup apple juice (I like Martinelli’s brand)
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup (optional–only if you really need it!)
- Measure out the cranberries and cherries and place them in a saucepan. Pour in the apple juice, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, orange zest and salt.
- Bring the contents of the pan to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the sauce for 8 to 10 minutes or until its thickened and the fruit has broken down.
- Taste for sweetness and add honey or maple syrup, if needed.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with your Turkey Day dinner. This is the perfect make-ahead side! Make it up to 5 days in advance and keep it in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']