Saint Patrick’s day is soon approaching, as is everything else that goes with the celebration of the Irish – like green cupcakes, dying rivers green, green milkshakes and of course a hearty dinner of corned beef and cabbage. Corned beef and cabbage is essentially the same as spaghetti and meatballs for many Irish-Americans. Back in the day, a very popular meal on mainland Ireland was pork and potatoes. However, when the Irish immigrated to America, the working class Irish-Americans started eating corned beef since it was a lot more affordable than pork. Voila! The tradition of corned beef and cabbage was born.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6-10 hours (depending on slow cooker setting and weight of corned beef)
- 2-3 lb corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs potatoes or sweet potatoes, chopped or cut in half (depending on size)
- 3-4 medium size carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- Optional: dijon or whole grain mustard for dipping
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion to bottom of slow cooker.
- Add corned beef brisket on top.
- Pour water on top of all the food.
- Sprinkle spice packet on top of meat and potatoes, vegetables.
- Cook HIGH 4-6 hours or LOW 8-12. If possible, we recommend cooking on low as the longer you cook the corned beef, the more tender it will turn out.
- Add cabbage and cook an 30-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve corned beef with a dijon or whole grain mustard for dipping if wanted.
*recipe adapted from fitslowcookerqueen.com
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']