Lightened up version of your favorite Mexican inspired dish! Use leftover grains to make this a quick weeknight meal. Add extra vegetables or even a sugar-free salsa to kick it up a notch! Be sure to look for BPA free cans for this recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups cooked organic chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 14.5-ounce can of tomato soup (or salsa, if desired)
- 1 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels, frozen
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded dairy free cheddar cheese, such as Daiya, divided
- Optional garnishes: diced avocado, tomato and fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare an 8-by-8 pan or 2 to 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice or quinoa, chicken, soup or salsa, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake uncovered until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']