Roasted carrots and avocado complement each other perfectly in this salad. Between the carrots and the ingredients they are tossed in, you cover so many different nutritional bases. You get plenty of vitamins and minerals plus healthy antioxidants that help protect your body from cellular damage and diseases. The avocados and olive oil are both loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that help lower cholesterol and reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. Salads are widely considered to be the perfect meal option for anyone focused on a healthy diet and this one is no exception.
For roasted carrots
- 1 pound carrots (assorted colors or just orange ones) peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
Rest of ingredients
- 2 small avocados, pitted and sliced or cut into chunks
- 3 cups arugula or salad greens mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt, black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into ½ inch pieces.
- In a bowl mix the ground cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic, ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Add the carrots and toss to combine.
- Spread the carrots into a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 25 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, place the avocado, arugula or salad greens and warm carrots.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lime juice and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the salad between serving plates and serve.