Herb-based sauces instantly add brightness to any dish. This gorgeous green goodness is perfect as pesto-like sauce for grains, bowls, or pastas; or to dollop on top of soup for a fresh finish. Thicker herb sauces also make delicious dips for fresh or roasted veggies. Tip: freeze pesto sauce in an ice cube tray, then transfer frozen pesto cubes to a freezer-safe container for storing. Stir the frozen cubes into soups or hot cooked grains for a burst of flavor.
- 2 cups baby arugula, packed
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Salt and pepper to tase
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and pulse until almost smooth.
- Herbs/greens: Fresh parsley, fresh basil, cilantro, fresh mint, arugula, spinach, kale. Try mixing different herbs and greens.
- Nuts/seeds: pistachios, pine nuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflowers seeds, hemp seeds.
- Flavor: fresh garlic, nutritional yeast, jalapeno
- Liquid: water, white wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon or lime juice
Variation Suggestion – Chimichurri
- Swap the arugula for 1 cup each of cilantro and flat leaf parsley
- Omit the pistachios
- Increase to a whole lemon and 3 garlic cloves
- Add 1 jalapeno peppers (seeds and veins removed) or 1 teaspoon of chili pepper flakes