This paleo apple crisp is not only gluten free–it’s grain free, dairy free and vegan! Enjoy guilt free this fall!
Use any baking apple you like, such as Pink Lady, Fuji, Granny Smith or Gold Delicious. Better yet–a combination of a crisp and a soft apples will give you better flavor and texture.
- 6 med apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup, optional depending on the sweetness of your apples
- 6 Tbsp organic coconut oil solid, or if not vegan: grass fed butter, or ghee
- 1 cup raw pecans or or walnuts or use nuts of choice
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with the spices and the 1 Tbsp maple syrup (if using), then transfer to a 9 or 10 inch pie dish or baking dish, set aside.
- For the crisp topping, put all the ingredients in a food processor and process or pulse until the pecans are finely ground and a thick, crumbly paste is created – this won’t take long.
- If your topping isn’t thick, you can chill it for 5-10 mins in the fridge. Drop/dollop the topping all over the apples to fully cover (or as fully as possible) and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and the topping is brown and crisp. If the top browns too soon, you can cover with aluminum foil part of the way through.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes to cool down before serving warm. Serve with coconut vanilla ice cream if desired.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat before serving. Enjoy!
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']