Did you know that Oreos are one of America’s favorite cookies, with over 70 million Oreos sold EACH DAY! We’ve created a much healthier version for you so you can still enjoy your favorite cookie! It may be America’s favorite cookie, but we think our raw, homemade version is a real treat too! Easy to make, and packed with nourishing ingredients, we’d take this version of oreo over the real thing any day! We would say they are still a treat to be enjoyed occasionally, but they sure do beat filling your body with over 20 unrecognizable ingredients, plus they are super fun to make so grab the kids and get them in the kitchen to help you whip these up. The hardest part is just stopping at one…
- 1 cup almond meal or hazelnut meal
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
For the creamy-dreamy filling:
- Cream collected from 1 can of coconut milk (see step 1)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pop coconut milk in the fridge the night before. This is an important step so that the cream separates from the liquid. The cream will form at the top, after opening the can, scoop out the coconut cream ready for whipping.
- Combine almond meal, raw cacao powder, shredded coconut, maple syrup and coconut oil in the food processor and process until well combined.
- Line surface with baking paper and roll out the cookie mixture.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut biscuits (using a small cookie cutter we were able to cut out 24 cookies). Tip: once you’ve rolled and cut, roll out remaining ‘off-cuts’ to get the most out of your cookie mix.
- Place your cut cookies into the freezer to set while you whip your coconut cream.
- To whip coconut cream, combine cream, vanilla and 1 tsp of maple syrup. Whip using an electric hand beater for about 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Assemble Oreos by filing 2 biscuits with the creamy-dreamy filling like a yummy biscuit sandwich!
- Place back in the freezer for half an hour, until set. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Adapted from Food Matters
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']