Brussels sprouts are powerful brassica vegetables that contain high levels of sulfur, which supports your liver in its detoxification process, triggering it to remove free radicals and other toxic chemicals. Our Instant Pot Holiday Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions uses just a few simple ingredients and quick, easy-to-follow directions. This modest recipe will demonstrate how lovely plant-based ingredients are when they are prepared in a straightforward and pure manner. They work as a side dish for easy weeknight dinners or for holiday meal entertaining.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 TB avocado oil, divided
- 1.5 onion, chopped
- 5 cups fresh brussels sprouts, washed and sliced in half
- Pecans for garnish (optional)
- Slice off any hard ends of the brussels sprouts if they still remain. (If you purchased them on a stalk, cut them off.) Cut each sprout in half.
- Place the Brussels sprouts into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup water. Seal the lid and pressure cook for 2 minutes. Remember that it will take about 5 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. When the cooking is done, quick release and let all the steam out of the pot. Then drain out the water and set aside. Keep the cooked brussels sprouts covered to stay warm.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon avocado oil and the onions to the hot skillet. Cook until the onions are caramelized (browned around the edges and soft), then remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Place the cooked brussels sprouts in a large bowl and combine with the carmelized onions. Garnish with pecans if desired for a festive holiday touch.
Looking for more personalized nutritional help? Contact me for a consultation today!
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']