Vegan Frittatas! We use chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, which is high in protein and fiber in place of the eggs. It cooks up egg-like and custardy when mixed with water and baked. You can find chickpea flour in the specialty flour sections of your regular grocery store. Don’t leave out the nutritional yeast–it adds an important cheesey note in these little bites!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups assorted chopped veggies – broccoli, corn, bell pepper, zucchini, spinach, etc.
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional oil for brushing muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl with 2 1/2 cups water. Whisk to combine and set aside while preparing the veggies.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add all veggies and garlic to skillet (except for green onions) and cook until veggies cook down and begin to brown, about 7 minutes. Add green onions to skillet and cook 2 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Brush a standard sized muffin tin with olive oil or line with parchment paper liners. Divide veggie mixture between muffin cups by the heaping tablespoon. Divide any remaining veggies between cups. Using a 1/4 cup measure, fill cups with chickpea batter. Use a spoon to gently stir each cup to ensure the batter gets under the veggies.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and frittatas are beginning to brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes (this allows the batter to set) before removing from tin and cooling on a rack. Depending on your muffin tin, you may have to use a knife or offset spatula to gently loosen sides of frittatas before removing from tin.
- Serve warm or allow to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Frittatas can be reheated in the microwave but are best when warmed in the oven or toaster oven at 400° for 10 minutes.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']