This is a healthy alternative to traditional chocolate pudding, and it has anti-inflammatory properties, too! Best when avocado is ripe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 very ripe Hass avocados (about 2 pounds total)
1/4 cup plain, chocolate preferred, or vanilla non-dairy milk, at room temperature (cashew milk, coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk, hemp milk, or soy milk)
3 to 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 to 3 ounces of dark or bittersweet chocolate (70% or higher)
1/4 cup agave nectar, mild-flavored honey, pure maple syrup (grade B preferred), date syrup, sorghum, or brown rice syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground dried mild or hot pepper such as ancho, guajillo, or cayenne
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 to 3 tablespoons coconut cream or coconut butter
1/2 very ripe banana
- Prep the avocados: Cut 1 avocado in half with a sharp paring knife, making sure to avoid the large pit. Separate the avocado halves, and using a spoon, remove the pit. Scrape off any avocado flesh that may be stuck on the pit, and place it in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Scoop the avocado flesh from each half into the food processor or a blender, making sure to avoid or discard any stringy bits and very dark patches. Repeat with the remaining avocados.
- Add the milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt to the avocados in the food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend for 30 to 45 seconds until fully combined and the avocado is smooth. Leave the mixture in the processor or blender with the cover on while you melt the chocolate.
- Chop or break the chocolate into small (1/2-inch) pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power at 20-second intervals until the chocolate is melted, about 1 minute in total. (Test to see if it is melted with the tip of a knife after a few blasts, as it will be actually be melted before it looks melted; it often retains its shape on the outside when fully melted on the inside and can scorch if overheated. With the knife, press the chocolate in the middle to see if it’s soft and melted inside when touched or pushed lightly; if so, it’s ready.) Remove the chocolate from the microwave and stir well until smooth and free of any clumps, about 45 seconds.
- Add your chosen sweetener to the melted chocolate and stir until completely smooth and fully combined, about 1 minute. It will begin to thicken as you stir.
- Remove the cover from the processor or blender. Quickly add the melted chocolate mixture to the avocado mixture, scraping the bowl with a soft silicone spatula to get every drop (if you try to add the melted chocolate through the tube feeder or the top, you will loose a good amount of chocolate).
- Add the optional ingredients, if any: If you chose any or all of the add-ins, place them into the processor or blender.
- Cover the processor or blender and mix until fully combined, about 45 to 50 seconds. Remove the cover and scrape down the side of the bowl or blender. Cover and process or blend for 1 full minute. Check the mixture and taste with a spoon (which you will not reuse or taste with again, please). Add more sweetener as necessary. If you want a thicker pudding, add the coconut cream, coconut butter, or banana, 1 tablespoon at time, processing or blending for at least 30 seconds before each addition. If you want a thinner pudding, add more milk now, again, just 1 tablespoon at time, processing or blending for at least 30 seconds before each addition.
- Scoop the pudding into a large bowl, or if you would like individual servings, scoop about 1/2 cup pudding into each of 4 ramekins or cups. This recipe makes about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups with no add-ins. Cover the bowl or ramekins or cups with plastic wrap and chill for at least 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
- For the best taste and texture, this pudding will keep, covered and refrigerated, for about 1 day.
Looking for more personalized nutritional help? Contact me for a consultation today!
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']