Enjoy this as a queso-like dip, or as a sauce for pastas, bowls or tacos. It’s flavor is cheesy, savory, and creamy.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Soak cashews in a bowl of water in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to use, drain and rinse.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Slowly add more water as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Creaminess (pre-soak all nuts/seeds for best result): cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, silken tofu, or steamed potatoes and carrots (see variation below), plant milk
- Flavor: salsa, petters in adobo sauce, lemon juice, nutritional yeast
- Herb/spice: Cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, nutmeg (add a pinch of nutmeg and omit the salsa and cumin for an alfredo-style sauce)
- *Alternative to nutritional yeast: swap for 2 tsp of miso paste or tamari, and add paprika to achieve a more orange color.
Variation Suggestion – Low Fat:
- Swap the cashews for one yukon gold potato and one carrot, chopped and steamed until very tender. Combine with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.