You won’t miss the bread crumbs or cheese in these delicious meatballs! Using delicate chicken or turkey means you need to be careful to not overcook them, but you’ll also be rewarded with a light, yet delicious main dish. Don’t skip the anchovy paste! It adds just the right piquant, salty flavor that enhances without overpowering these meatballs! You could also use anchovy fillets if you prefer.
Serve on top of a romaine salad or vegetable noodles, such as spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash. These are great leftover–cold from the fridge for a protein snack. See the Asian variation below too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground organic chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the green onions and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add the anchovy paste and garlic. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned and aramoatic, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, parsley, lemon zest, Italian seasoning, pepper, and scallion mixture until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Diving mixture into 16 evenly sized meatballs. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through, until cooked through and lightly browned.
Skip the anchovy paste, lemon zest, Italian seasoning. Substitute cilantro for the Italian parsley. Add 2 tsp grated fresh ginger and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes with the garlic in step 2. Season the meat mixture with 1 T. tamari (wheat free soy sauce). Serve on top of Ginger Shiitake Noodles. Delicious!
Looking for more personalized nutritional help? Contact me for a consultation today!
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']