One of my favorite things about this bowl is how adaptable it is. Add your favorite vegetables or beans. (I often add pre-cooked lentils that I find in the produce section of the grocery store. Super easy!) You might want to add some other toppings. Here are some of my favorites: hummus, cilantro chutney, avocado, microgreens. Yum!
- 2 cups of cubed winter squash
- 1 pint mushrooms, washed and trimmed
- 2 medium beets, peeled and cubed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1¾ cup water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1‐2 Tbsp roasted walnuts
- Optional: sprouts, minced avocado, cilantro, toasted nori strips
Lemon Tahini Sauce (makes 1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat the water.
- Add the tahini, lemon, ginger, honey, and salt, and whisk until smooth and pourable. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss the squash with 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper and layout on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with mushrooms and beets, keeping them separate. Roast in the oven until fork tender (time will vary for each vegetable).
- Add the quinoa, water and a pinch of salt to a small pot. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 12-15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. When the quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and recover for 10-15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat and add the onions. Without stirring, let the onions brown or caramelize. Stir the onions and continue to cook on low heat, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Lemon Tahini Sauce (recipe follows) ingredients.
- To serve, place ½ cup quinoa in a bowl and add the onions as well as each vegetable around the quinoa. Garnish with your desired toppings and drizzle the tahini sauce on top.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.