Do you get every cold that goes around? Are you tired of being sick? It sounds like your immune system needs a little support. Well, you are in luck because many common foods contain compounds that naturally boost your immune system. In fact, look no further than your kitchen for this elixir!
We will be using apple cider vinegar to extract the beneficial compounds from onions, garlic, horseradish, turmeric and cayenne. Onions contain quercetin, which is an antioxidant compound. It protects our DNA from damage, stabilizes mast cells, and can prevent viral replication. Garlic contains allicin, which stimulates the production of immune cells to fight viruses and also may directly damage viral cells. Turmeric contains many different compounds that have antioxidant effects and modulate the function of our immune system. Horseradish and cayenne stimulate blood flow to promote the circulation of our immune cells. Together, these ingredients have a synergistic immune boosting effect.
Prep Time: 5 minutes (plus fermenting time)
Cook Time: —
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP fresh grated horseradish
- 2 TBSP turmeric powder
- dash of cayenne
- honey to taste
- Combine onion, garlic, horseradish, turmeric, and cayenne in large glass jar.
- Add enough apple cider vinegar to cover the ingredients.
- Cover jar with cloth and let sit in a warm place for 2 weeks.
- Strain and reserve liquid.
- Add honey to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Take 1 tsp daily to prevent colds.
- At first sign of a cold, take 2 TBSP and then take 1 tsp every 3 hours until symptoms resolve.
- Measurements of ingredients do not need to be precise and you can use more or less ingredients to suit the size of your jar.
- Use organic apple cider vinegar with the mother. This contains more nutrients than filtered apple cider vinegar.
- Use raw local honey. For added immune support, you can use manuka honey which contains immune stimulating compounds, but it is expensive and has an unusual flavor.
Look for more personalized nutritional advice? I can help! Contact me for a consultation today.
Print Recipe[bws_pdfprint display='print']